11 Apr RF Microneedling
RF Microneedling: Skincare
Radiofrequency (RF) Microneedling is an advanced treatment to stimulate the body’s natural collagen and skin elasticity. This results in visibly firm and revitalized skin. Not only is this procedure safe and effective, but there is also little to no downtime. Therefore, you can return to your regular activities right away. Get great results by following these “best practices” in RF microneedling skincare listed below.
Before your RF Microneedling Treatment
- 6 months Wait 6 months after taking the acne medication isotretinoin before considering RF microneedling
- 2 weeks Avoid long periods of sun exposure and tanning booths.
- 7 days. Avoid products that increase skin sensitivity (retinol, alpha hydroxy acids salicylic acid, exfoliants)
- 7 days Refrain from waxing or hair removal creams.
- 3 days Do not take certain pain killers, e.g., ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil.
Day of Treatment
- Do not shave the area to be treated to avoid skin irritation.
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser.
- Do not apply makeup or cosmetic products.
- Secure long hair away from the face.
- Drink 12 ounces of water to ensure that you are well hydrated.
- Eat healthy meal before your appointment.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing.
Radiofrequency Microneedling After Care
Any minor swelling or redness will subside within 8-12 hours. The skin may feel tight, dry, swollen, or sensitive, and may flake in a day or two. This is a desired result of increased turnover of skin cells. Allow the skin to flake off on its own. Do not and try to not pick, scratch or scrub at the treated skin.
As microneedling serves to stimulate collagen and growth, the skin benefits from higher amounts of collagen than normal to recover optimally. We recommend our Hyaluronic Acid Serum or Alastin Regenerating Skin Nectar. It is important to apply every 3 hours for the first 24 hours after the RF microneedling procedure.
Other Important Tips:
- Do not exfoliate the treated area for a week.
- Avoid direct sunlight and tanning beds for 2 weeks. Use a broad spectrum sunscreen beginning 24 hours after the procedure. When you can’t avoid exposed to the sun, wear a hat.
- Do not go swimming for at least 24 hours post-treatment.
- No exercise that causes sweating, jacuzzi, sauna, or steam baths until the skin is healed.
- Resume your usual makeup routine in 2-3 days. Mineral makeup is preferred.
Schedule an appointment for a consultation
For a knowledgeable consultation and a pleasant, safe microneedling experience, contact us or book an appointment online now. Our lead physician, Dr. Ife J. Rodney MD, FAAD is a trusted medical, cosmetic and surgical dermatologist in Maryland. We are conveniently located in Fulton and serve Columbia MD, Clarksville, Ellicott City, Laurel, Bowie, Silver Spring and surrounding areas in PG and Howard County, Maryland.