Chemical Peel Aftercare Instructions
Chemical Peel Aftercare Instructions For Face OR Body
1) Leave the peel on for 4-6 hours, then gently wash it off with warm water ONLY.
2) For the first 2 days, wash your face/body with warm water only, TWICE a day. Then apply moisturizer with sunscreen to face/body (AT LEAST SPF 44), as many times a day as needed.
3) From days 3-5, wash with a gentle cleanser (such as Cetaphil or Dove, no fragrance), followed by sunscreen.
4) From day 6-10 you may wash (with either a gentle cleanser or Eternal Clarifying Polish) TWICE a day, followed by sunscreen in the daytime.
5) Resume normal skin care routine on day 10 after your chemical peel, or when all the peeling has subsided.
***Call the office immediately if you have any issues after the procedure (301) 679-5772.
AFTER YOUR PEEL: It is crucial to the success of your peel that these guidelines be followed:
– Do not go swimming for at least 24 hours post-treatment.
– No exercise that causes sweating, Jacuzzi, sauna, or steam baths until the skin is healed.
– Do not use makeup for 24 hours post- treatment.
– If Retinoic Acid is used as part of your treatment, your skin will have a light yellow tinge immediately after the procedure. This is temporary and will fade in 1 to 2 hours. It is recommended to wait until the evening to wash your face, however if you should choose to wash it sooner, please wait at least 2 hours.
– It is important that you avoid direct sunlight for at least 1 week, and make using a sunscreen with at least SPF40 a long term part of your daily routine.
– Patients with sensitivity to the sun should take extra precautions to guard against sun exposure following the procedure as they may be more sensitive following the peel.
– Your skin may be more red than usual for 2-3 days.
-Approximately 24-48 hours after the treatment, your skin will start to peel. This peeling will generally last 2 to 7 days. DO NOT PICK OR PULL THE SKIN.
-Apply a light moisturizer with sunscreen as often as needed to relieve dryness and tightness.
-Do not have any other facial treatments for at least two weeks after your peel.
LACK OF PEELING: Although most people experience peeling of their facial skin, not every patient notices visibly peeling after a Chemical Peel procedure. Lack of peeling is NOT an indication that the peel was unsuccessful. If you do not notice actual peeling, please know that you are still receiving all the benefits of the peel, such as: unclogging of pores, stimulation of collagen production, increased cell turnover, improvement of skin tone and texture, and diminishment of fine lines, wrinkles and dark spots.